About Me

My photo
Hull is the city of my birth, but I have lived in the Beverley area for the past 20 years. I have a family in Hull and a family in Australia. Travelling to shores, both near and far, is often on my agenda. What keeps me young at heart? My grandchildren and my zest for life.

Thursday 30 May 2013

Arctic Corsair Trawler

Yesterday I had a fantastic and interesting guided tour around the Arctic Corsair Trawler. This is part of my research for my next novel, set around the fishing community of Hessle Road in the 1950s.  Now a museum, the trawler is moored on the River Hull in the old  town. Our guide, John, who comes from a fishing background, was a mind of stories and information. I listened intently and making mental notes and a few pencilled ones. What struck me was the dangers that the deep sea trawlermen faced in the Icelandic fishing grounds and the hazard conditions they worked in. But shining through was the spirit and comradeship of the men, it is ingrained in the very fabric of the trawler.  Down below, there are written testaments to this. The tour and  the 10 minute action film lasted one hour and 30 minutes.
A great experience and well worth the visit.

www.hullccgov.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment